ARTICLE I – NAME AND PURPOSE
The name of this organization shall be the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County.
The purpose of the Nez Perce County Democratic Party shall be to:
- Promote the interests of the Democratic Party in Nez Perce County.
- Promote the election of Democratic candidates to public offices at all levels of government.
- Support a party platform declaring policy positions of the Democratic party, Idaho, and Nez Perce County.
- Represent the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County at state levels, precinct, and legislative districts in the county.
- Strengthen organizational efforts, promote, encourage, and liaison with all Democrats of the various precincts within Nez Perce County.
ARTICLE II – AUTHORITY
The Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall have all power not inconsistent with the law, the rules of the Idaho State Central Committee and the National Democratic Party Charter to manage its affairs and transact business. The County Central Committee shall be the governing body of the Party.
ARTICLE III – AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
The Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall ensure the widest and fairest representation of all members in the organization and all activities. All rules shall be adopted by procedures that assure the fair and open participation of all those interested. Discrimination in the conduct of party affairs on the basis of sex gender, race, age, religion, economic status or ethnic origin shall be prohibited. Discrimination in any form is contrary to the Democratic philosophy. All Party meetings shall be open to the public.
ARTICLE IV – NEZ PERCE COUNTY CENTRAL COMMITTEE
Section 1. Membership
- MEMBERSHIP The membership of the County Central Committee shall consist of the precinct committee person representing the precincts within the county and the County Central Committee officers, as well as Chairs of Standing Committees. All current Democratic elected officials of Nez Perce County shall be ex officio members of the Central Committee.
- VOTING Any member may vote by proxy at any meeting of the committee, provided such proxy shall be in writing, signed and dated by the member giving the proxy, and specifically referring to the meeting and to whom the proxy is granted. No one may carry more than one proxy.
- CERTIFICATION The County Clerk shall, as set forth in the election laws of the State of Idaho, certify the precinct committee persons elected or appointed to the membership of the Nez Perce County Democratic Central Committee.
Section 2. Duties
The legislative power of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall be vested in the County Central Committee. It shall:
- Elect the officers of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County
- Fill vacancies in the Party offices.
- Approve the budget of the County Central Committee.
- Approve or reject all or part of the actions of the Executive Committee at the next regularly scheduled Central Committee meeting.
- Transact other business note inconsistent with law, the National Charter, State Committee rules and these bylaws.
Section 3. Resignation
A member of the Central Committee may resign by written notice to the Chairperson of the County Central Committee and such resignation shall be effective as of the date stated in the written notice.
ARTICLE V – COUNTY PARTY OFFICERS
Section 1. Officers
The officers of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall be a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, State Committeeman and State Committeewoman.
Section 2. Eligibility
- Chairperson – Any legal resident of Nez Perce County
- All Other Officers – Any legal resident of Nez Perce County.
Section 3. Nomination and Election
The Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, State Committeeman and State Committeewoman shall be nominated from the floor and elected at the first regular meeting of the new year. Voting shall be by roll call and a simple majority shall be required to elect.
Section 4. Term of Office
The officers shall be elected for terms of two (2) years.
Section 5. Removal from Office
Any officer may be removed from office in accordance with the following procedures:
- Action shall be initiated by a petition, specifying the reasons for removal and bearing the signatures of sixteen (16) or more members of the County Central Committee.
- The petitioners for removal shall call a meeting of the County Central Committee.
- Notice of the meeting, wherein a petition for removal from office is to be considered, shall be mailed, together with a copy of the petition to all members of the County Central Committee at least fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the meeting.
- Removal from office shall be carried by an absolute majority vote of the County Central Committee.
- A special meeting called for removal of an officer may include other items on the agenda, which shall be adopted at the beginning of the meeting.
- Removal from office other than Chairperson, shall be from office status only and shall not affect status as a precinct Committee person.
Section 6. Vacancies
In case of the resignation, prolonged illness or death of the County Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson shall become the acting County Chairperson until the next meeting of the County Central Committee, at which time any unexpired portion of the term shall be filled by a special election.
The Executive Committee shall make temporary appointments to fill vacancies in the positions of Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, State Committeeman and State Committeewoman from the time such vacancies occur until the next regular meeting of the County Central Committee can be called to elect officers to fill the unexpired terms. Said meeting shall be called within thirty (30) days of the vacancy.
Should any incumbent officer be elected County Chairperson, the vacancy in that office shall be filled at the same election. Any vacancy occurring after a meeting has been called shall be filled at that meeting. Voting shall be by roll call and a simple majority shall be required to elect.
Section 7. Duties of Officers
Officers shall perform duties as follows:
- COUNTY CHAIR
- The County Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the County Central Committee, Executive Committee, and conferences.
- Prepare a provisional agenda for each meeting of the County Central Committee.
- Appoint, with the approval of the Executive Committee, the Chairperson of all Standing and Special Committees and serve as liaison to the County Central Committee.
- Perform such duties as may be assigned by the County Central Committee and State Central Committee, as well as those which are customarily delegated to the office of the Chairperson.
- VICE CHAIR
- The Vice Chairperson shall, in the absence of the County Chair, or in the event of his or her inability to execute their responsibilities as Chair, perform the duties of the County Chairperson. The Vice Chairperson shall also discharge such responsibilities as the County Chair may assign.
- The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all funds of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County.
- Maintain adequate records pertaining to the finances of the County Central Committee. Keep all records at least 7 years as a record of County Central Committee history.
- Pay all legal obligations and receive all monies of the County Central Committee.
- Prepare, with the assistance of the Finance Committee, and submit to the Executive Committee, a budget which shall then be presented to the Central Committee with the Executive Committee’s recommendation and approval. The budget shall be approved no later than March 1 for the ensuing fiscal year.
- Prepare and submit to the Central Committee a financial report for each fiscal year within thirty (30) days of the beginning of the new year.
- Perform such duties as customarily delegated to the office of a Treasurer.
- The Secretary shall keep a register of current members of the County Central Committee and call the roll when required.
- Records the minutes of each meeting of the County Central Committee.
- Prepare copies of all minutes for each member of the County Central Committee.
- Maintain a copy of the Bylaws of the Nez Perce County Democratic Central Committee.
- Send by email or regular mail an agenda 7-10 days prior to the meeting date.
ARTICLE VI – COUNTY CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Section 1. Meeting Frequency
There will be two mandatory meetings of the County Central Committee each year in January and June for the purpose of budget review, election of officers, and conducting of other Nez Perce County Party business.
Section 2. Date, Time, & Place
The date, time, and place of these regular meetings shall be designated by the County Chairperson.
Section 3. Special Meetings
Special meetings may be called at any time by the County Chairperson, or in his or her absence or inability to serve, by the County Vice Chairperson or any other officer in the absence of the absence of the Chairperson or Vice Chairperson or by one-fourth (1/4) of the Committee membership.
Section 4. Meeting Notice
The person or persons calling any meeting of the Committee shall notify all members of the Committee, in writing, at least fourteen (14) (7-10 days in advance of such meetings, and shall designate the location, time, date, and purpose of said meeting. This may also be done by utilizing the Central Committee phone bank and/or email.
Section 5. Quorum
One-quarter (1/4) of the members shall constitute a quorum for any regular or special meeting of the County Central Committee, excluding the chairs of the Standing Committees.
Section 6. Agenda
The County Chairperson or persons calling the meeting shall prepare a provisional agenda prior to each meeting. Proposals for additional items for the agenda or suggested changes shall be submitted to the Chairperson five (5) days prior to the meeting. The first order of business of each meeting shall be the adoption of the agenda, which may include amendments made from the floor by a majority vote.
Once adopted, the agenda shall govern the business conducted at the meeting and matters not included on the agenda will not be considered, nor shall matters be considered in a different order than the adopted agenda except by two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present and voting.
Section 7. Voting
Only those members of the Central Committee or their proxies who are present shall be eligible to vote. The County Chairperson shall not vote except to break a tie.
ARTICLE VII – EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1. Membership
The members of the Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the County Central Committee, the State Committeewoman, the State Committeeman, the Chairperson of Legislative District 7, and immediate past County Chairperson.
Section 2. Authority
The Executive Committee of the Nez Perce County Central Committee shall have the power to do the following:
- Act for the County Central Committee when time does not permit for the proper call of a meeting of the Central Committee.
- Carry forward the policies and programs of the County, State and National Democratic Parties.
- Make recommendations to the County Central Committee on budgetary and other county matters.
Section 3. Meeting/Conferences
The Chairperson shall give notice to all members of the Executive Committee by telephone at least four (4) days prior to the date of the meeting. Five (5) members may call a meeting of the Executive Committee in keeping with the provisions in this paragraph. A majority of the members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VIII – OTHER COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committees
The Standing Committees of the Nez Perce County Central Committee shall be:
- Rules & Bylaws
- Maintenance and Operation of the Headquarters
- Technical/VAN System
Section 2. Other Committees
The County Chairperson and the County Central Committee may create committees or a Task Force to handle specific areas of need or short term projects.
Section 3. Committee Responsibilities
- The Rules & Bylaws Committee shall review the Bylaws periodically and recommend amendments, as needed. There shall be on this committee a person or persons thoroughly familiar with the Rules of Order for conducting a meeting. Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County in all cases in which such rules are not in conflict with the laws of the State of Idaho, these bylaws, and any special rules of order.
- The Finance Committee shall oversee the budget, care and reporting of revenues and expenditures.
- The Headquarters Maintenance and Operation Committee will see that the Headquarters is clean and maintained. This Committee will make recommendations to the Executive Committee on improvements or necessary repairs at the Headquarters in consultation with the landlord or owner of the building.
- The Events Committee will coordinate fundraising events, as well as other events involving State or National Democratic candidates or elected officials. They will be responsible for publicity, ticket sales, and revenue accounting to the Treasurer.
- The Newsletter Committee will create a quarterly newsletter to be sent to the residents of Nez Perce County, either as a hard copy or as an email newsletter. This Committee will also assist in maintaining the Nez Perce County Democrats web page.
- The Fundraising Committee shall promote fundraising outside and in addition to revenue from specific events.
- The Election/Campaign Committee shall coordinate the disbursement of signs and or wires in concert with each candidate and their campaign committee, keeping track of the number of signs and their placement for after-election pickup. This committee shall recruit and assist in coordinating campaign strategies with candidates.
- The Technical/VAN (Voter Activation Network) Committee will provide information helpful for the candidates, i.e. walking lists, calling lists, and precinct information.
ARTICLE IX – FINANCES
Section 1. Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall be from January 1 through December 31.
Section 2. Deposits
All funds of the Democratic Party of Nez Perce County shall be deposited to a financial institution selected and voted upon by the Executive Committee and the County Central Committee.
ARTICLE X – AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the County Central Committee, provided that:
- The proposed amendment or change has been reviewed and given recommendation for disposition by the Rules & Bylaws Committee.
- A copy of the proposed amendment or change has been mailed to each member of the County Central Committee no less than fourteen (14) days prior to the next meeting of the Committee.
- The proposed amendment or change has read at one meeting of the Central Committee.
- The proposed amendment or change will only pass with an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of those present and voting.
Duly adopted this ____ day of the month of ____________ in the year of _________.
NEZ PERCE COUNTY CENTRAL COMMITTEE
By ____________________________ By ____________________________
By ____________________________ By ____________________________
By ____________________________ By ____________________________